Smart. Charming. Out of Control Talented. Thats how I describe DJ Smiles but I’m totally biased since she made me a breakup playlist back in the day when I caught an old boyfriend cheating on me. Truth is, Smiles embodies everything our #inmytee campaign is all about. She gets up in the morning, chases her dreams and pursues doing the thing she loves most: making music. It doesn’t hurt that she makes our tees look damn good either.
Get to know DJ Smiles and BONUS: check out her first single off her upcoming vinyl below.
- How did you get into making music? DJ culture is interesting: you have to produce music if you want to elevate. If you want to tour and make good money doing it, on your own terms, you must be playing music you made yourself. So, I started making music in part out of necessity but I continued making music because I fell in love with it.
- If you weren’t making music what would you be doing? Teaching kindergarteners. Children are so beautiful at that age. They are like colorful sponges with these massive imaginations soaking up an enormous amount of information. They would teach me as much about life as I would teach them.
- If you could collaborate with anyone in the world who would it be? Ryan Gall, the co-founder of Global Citizens Festival, is doing something really cool where he’s gamifying philanthropy. His ethos is all about having fun while making powerful statements. I am so inspired by his efforts and dream of the day I can collaborate with him on something so fulfilling and effective.
- What’s the last thing you took a photo of on your iPhone? I took a photo of the sky. The city of Los Angeles has been on fire over the course of the last 24 hours and the sky was lit up with this thick burnt orange soot all day. It was terrifyingly beautiful.
- First record you bought? That Aerosmith album with the cow on the cover and Alicia Silverstone in the music video :/ Please don’t judge me.
- What gets you out of bed in the morning? My work motivates me to spring out of bed everyday. Ha! Ok… I’m half truthing. I love my work and it does motivate me to be productive, but I’m completely lying about the springing up from my sheets business. I never spring out of bed, unless I’m in a hurry or hungry.
- Favorite song to start your day? Ooo, I really enjoy some chill first thing in the morning. Some Django Reinhardt is always a good time or some reggae. That’s not A song, but you get the vibe.
- Best piece of advice you have received? Jake Burton once told me to always keep a journal. Keep the bad in a separate journal from the good. Then burn the bad when full.
- Tell us something people might not know about you? I’m in school full-time studying music composition.
- Where do we listen to your single and learn more about you? You can listen to my first single “Take it Slow” on Spotify (Smiles Davis feat Jck. Davey and Grace Kelly) or on my soundcloud page (www.soundcloud.com/djsmilesdavis). Follow me on instagram too: @DJSmilesDavis