When it comes to insta-crushes all roads lead to Max Wanger. He was kind enough to answer a couple of questions for us and BONUS: send us a sock seflie. Who would have thought this talented creative aspires to be on The Voice. Read on to learn more.
1. How did you get your start? Taking photographs has always been one of my outlets. From an early age, I felt like I could disappear behind the lens and observe the world. I’d imagine no one else was seeing what I was seeing. My photography career was was built somewhat out of necessity but mostly out of the need to do what made me happy. I spent nearly 8 years working at a big company (it was my first job out of college) and while many of those years were terrific, I was quite unhappy the last couple of years and knew I wasn’t doing what I really wanted to do. So I decided to pursue photography and I was blessed that it all worked out.
2. Best piece of advice you have received? “Follow your bliss” — advice from my parents.
3. If you could photograph anyone or anything in the world what would it be? It changes on a daily basis. Currently, I’d love to photograph Pharrell in tokyo (that way i could photograph someone i’ve always wanted to take a portrait of in one of my favorite places in the world).
4. 3 Favorite Instagram account to follow for inspiration? @pauloctavious @jessechamberlin @dallasclayton
5. If you were not a photographer what would you be? Some sort of artist or designer. In a dream world, I’d want to be a singer, like a really amazing singer that goes on the voice and wins it (and obviously gets coached by Pharrell). My wife teases me that I can’t sing a lick, but I like to think I’m pretty decent.
6. What question do you hate being asked in interviews? This one
7. What gets you out of bed in the morning? Our little boy, dash. Literally.
8. What do you do for fun? We like to travel as much as we can. Other than that, the beach is always fun, especially with a little one. The farmer’s market on Sundays is something I always look forward to. And I play golf when I can.
9. Tell us something people might not know about you? Max is my middle name. I’m half Japanese and my first name is actually Taiyo which means “ocean.”
10. What was the last thing you took a picture of on your iphone? (bonus points if you could send this photo along) Dash. He’s all I take pictures of now it seems.